First time here?

First time here? Please check out the FAQ as well as the General Discussion threads. Feel free to chime in or get in touch with comments, questions, corrections... Cheers! :)

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Bubble Puppy – A Gathering Of Promises (1969) [Orig. US IA-LP10]

Bubble Puppy – A Gathering Of Promises

Original USA stereo pressing (1969) 
International Artists IA-LP10  (Discogs)
~ThePoodleBites rip in 24/96 FLAC + full artwork scans (800dpi scans)~

There is a rip of a really cool Canadian LP which showcases some really great sound of this album but with unfortunately poor vinyl condition. So here’s this original US copy for y’all. If you apply some gentle EQ (treble boost), the mastering on this record isn’t actually too bad – although it’s unfortunate that it was cut with such a strong high-end roll-off, rendering the sound quality poor as compared to some other IA LPs. But here it is without equalization or noise-reduction for your tinkering and musical enjoyment.

**UPDATE 2018**: I have acquired a very clean copy of the Canadian pressing and a new rip is forthcoming. Stay tuned!



A couple months ago, I decided to visit a local record shop which I had never been to before. When I walked in, the owner asked me if there was anything that I was looking for. I mentioned that I liked psychedelic rock and would be interested in any rare records, especially the 13th Floor Elevators.

“Well, I don’t have much of that,” he claimed, “but I have an original record by the Bubble Puppy over there on the wall.”
“Is it in good shape?”
“I’d be surprised if you found one in better shape anywhere in the world. I bought it myself in 1972; it’s from my own collection.”

I ended up biting the price tag and getting it, because I knew that it needed to be transferred and preserved. And that’s what I’ve done here.


Track Listing:
1) Hot Smoke And Sasafrass – 2:38
2) Todd's Tune – 3:16
3) I've Got To Reach You – 7:51
4) Lonely – 2:58
5) A Gathering Of Promises – 2:30
6) Hurry Sundown – 4:04
7) Elizabeth – 2:56
8) It's Safe To Say – 2:31
9) Road To St. Stephens – 4:11
10) Beginning – 3:56

Vinyl Condition: M-/VG++
Equipment/Lineage:
– (almost brand new) AT150MLX Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge
– AT-LP120-USB Direct Drive Professional Turntable (Pre-amp removed, hardwired to RCA out jacks)
– TC-754 Phono Preamp (First version with completely solid state design)
– Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 MkII
– ProTools 96/24 (recording)
– Adobe Audition CC 2015.1 (manual/automatic pop removal)
– Audacity 2.1.1

As I stated previously, the actual master cut into this record seems to have some treble issues. The problem isn’t with my transfer – my setup is not faulty, that’s just how these originals sound. That said, this is still WAY better than the official CDs.

MEGA: https://mega.nz/folder/DlYECB6Z#VPMmnV9xRQjncg9V_A6KKg
Enjoy, and please feel free to leave comments below! :)

5 comments:

  1. Being a huge fan of Bubble Puppy and friends with the guitar player and drummer, this is the cleanest I've ever heard this masterpiece !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for sharing this awesome vinyl!
    Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, amazing work. This puts all other releases to shame. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I discovered that I do not have a copy of this LP. I'm very glad to have this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome story. thank you for preserving this record even at heavy cost!

    ReplyDelete