This is just a post of some questions I am frequently asked. If you have any other general comments / questions, feel free to post them here.
HOW CAN I HELP?
It's a big goal to liberate quality sound from record collectors with deep pockets. I only ask that when you download something, please leave a note of thanks so that I know you've stopped by.
CAN I SHARE YOUR RIPS ON ANOTHER SITE?
Absolutely, BUT... I ask that if you re-post anything you get from this blog, that you credit @ThePoodleBites and include a link here. That way people can be redirected to some of the other great things I've posted, and I get the great enjoyment of reading comments from you folks, which is a big part of the reason I keep ripping in the first place! Otherwise, please feel free to get this music "out there" as far and wide as humanly possible.
WHY IS THE ARTWORK SO BIG?
As the price of hard disk space gets cheaper and cheaper, the sound quality of music seems to get worse and worse. This is exactly the opposite correlation of what you'd expect; but generally, those who care deeply about the music they listen to tend to seek out the best-sounding versions available, either by tracking down various CD masterings or even turning to formats such as vinyl. And at cents per gigabyte these days, it doesn't really make sense to skimp out on file size when you've finally found that sound you like. This goes similarly for artwork scans of albums; why save a low-resolution JPEG when one can save a lossless PNG and have a backup of the artwork from their favorite albums stored on the cloud forever? For those who prefer lower-resolution files, I recommend downloading the high-resolution files and downsampling to your heart's content.FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec and is a universal standard of digitally encoded audio without any loss of audio information, unlike 'lossy' formats such as MP3 and Ogg. One can play FLAC files (and convert to other formats) using such freeware as foobar2000 (Windows) or DeaDBeeF (Linux / Unix).
WHAT IS 'FLAC'? CAN I JUST GET AN MP3?
WHAT IS 'EQ SUBTRACTION'?
|Scenes from the barking poodle's music cage|
DO YOU TAKE REQUESTS?
I'LL BUY YOUR VINYL! MY WANT LIST
Here is a (non-exhaustive) list of some records I'd like to rip at some point in the future. If you have one / some of these, please contact me -- I'll happily pay top dollar for clean copies. Ones in bold are albums that I'm particularly pining for at the moment. ;)
- 13th Floor Elevators - Psychedelic Sounds Of... [US Original Mono Promo]
- 13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere [US Original Mono]
- Ant Trip Ceremony - 24 Hours [US Original]
- Apple - An Apple A Day [UK Original]
- Arcadium - Breathe Awhile [Australia Original]
- Birmingham Sunday - A Message From Birmingham Sunday [US Original]
- Bobb Trimble - Iron Curtain Innocence [US Original]
- Bonniwell Music Machine - The Bonniwell Music Machine [US Mono Promo]
- C.A. Quintet - Trip Thru Hell [US Original]
- Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk [US Original Mono]
- Cold Sun - Dark Shadows [Original Acetate]
- Country Weather [Original Single-Sided Demo]
- Dave Bixby - Ode To Quetzalcoatl [US Original]
- D.R. Hooker - The Truth [US Original]
- Fraction - Moon Blood [US Original]
- Frank Zappa - Crush All Boxes [Original US Test Pressing]
- Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy [Original Stereo Capitol Records Acetate]
- Glass Family - Electric Band [US Original]
- Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa [US Original White-Label Promo]
- Incredible String Band - The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion [UK Original Mono]
- Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter [UK Original Mono]
- Joyful Noise a.k.a. Mad Dog a.k.a. C1/C2 [US Original Test Pressing]
- Pussy - Pussy Plays [UK Original]
- Red Krayola - God Bless The Red Krayola And All Who Sail With It [US Original]
- Sam Gopal - Escalator [German Original]
- Skip Bifferty - Skip Bifferty [UK 1st/2nd Press Mono]
- Small Faces - Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake [Original UK Mono]
- Tripsichord Music Box - Tripsichord [Red SF Sound Demo LP]
- Zerfas - Zerfas [US Original]
If you have one of these records and would be willing to lend / sell it for ripping, please contact me and let me know! You can find my email on the side or bottom of this page.