First time here?

First time here? Please check out the FAQ as well as the General Discussion threads. Feel free to chime in or get in touch with comments, questions, corrections... Cheers! :)

Friday, August 23, 2024

Open letter to moderators of the Steve Hoffman Music Forums

I have decided to share a message which I recently sent to the moderators (so-called "gorts", a self-appointed title) of the Steve Hoffman Music Forums (SHMF), in addition to a longer piece of text that I feel must be shared more broadly. Recent experiences on SHMF, particularly with its moderation policies, have led to deep frustration and disappointment from myself and several others. Having participated in SHMF for over a decade, I write the below text not only with those feelings in mind, but also one of sadness, as such broken opportunities are seldom repaired. Nonetheless, like the phoenix, I maintain my voice on a new platform, where speech freedoms are not suppressed for commercial gain.



Message sent 23 August 2024 at 18:53 GMT
Recipients:
Steve Hoffman, bkgMusic, darkmatter, DLant, hodgo, Ken_McAlinden, MLutthans, Peter_R, stereoptic

 

Dear Moderator(s),

As a legal resident of the European Union, I am exercising my right under Article 17 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to request the immediate and permanent deletion of all my personal data stored on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums (SHMF) servers. This request includes, but is not limited to:

  • all posts on the forums or message boards,
  • all responses to these posts, which can reasonably be linked to me and/or contain my duplicated content,
  • all interactions with the forums or message boards, including likes and comments,
  • all sent and received messages through the inbox / "Conversations" functionality,
  • all threads created and replies to those threads,
  • all location, geolocation, and date/timestamp data,
  • all personally identifying information, including name, date of birth, contact details such as phone and email, and other private data,
  • all connections to external accounts and third parties, and any shared data with those parties,
  • all information shared with affiliates of SHMF, including XenForo, Ltd.

Additionally, I request that my account be immediately and irreversibly closed.

I want to take this opportunity to express my disappointment with some aspects of the forum's moderation policies. Over the last few years, I have noticed instances where critical posts, particularly those involving certain audio engineers, have been removed without sufficient explanation or reasonable justification. This has led me to question the objectivity of the moderation process and the overall integrity of the forum.

While I once valued SHMF as a reliable source of information, I now feel that the forum's current practices undermine its credibility and discourage open, honest discussion. I hope this will be taken into consideration to improve the experience for other users.

Thank you for your prompt attention to my GDPR request.

Sincerely,
"ThePoodleBites"
 


 

Apart from the request above, I feel compelled to candidly express my specific concerns with a broader audience. While the tone of the message below is strong, it reflects my genuine feelings about the way SHMF is being run. I believe transparency and open discussion are crucial, especially in online communities that are meant to foster honest dialogue. Please note that the following content is my personal opinion and is based on my own experiences.

Disclaimer: This post contains strong language and critical opinions regarding the moderation practices of SHMF. It is not intended to defame or harm any individuals or entities mentioned but to highlight my concerns as a former user of the forum. The content of this post is shared for the purpose of transparency and discussion. Readers are encouraged to form their own opinions and engage respectfully in any dialogue that may arise from this post.



 

Dear gort-esque individual(s):

I used to view SHMF as a highly useful source of information, generously supplied by users all over the globe, providing a just means to judge music releases on their merits and make well-informed decisions on how to spend hard-earned money. Unfortunately, I have come to realize that this view was naïve. Over the past years, I have seen several posts, which happened to be critical of certain audio engineers, arbitrarily removed for irrelevant or nonexistent reasons. This has been documented on other forums [1, 2]. "Industry sensitive" posts are swiftly deleted from SHMF, usually without alert or justification. Entire threads are routinely trashed when it is revealed by SHMF users that particular engineers made some gaffe, even when minor. Rather than supplying a useful service to SHMF users, this arbitrary moderation of SHMF more strongly promotes cronyism as a benefit to the elder subclass of music purveyors.

Users of SHMF who post criticisms of particular releases, especially those linked to certain record labels or individuals, risk internal labeling by SHMF as a degenerate user, with future posts thus requiring hand-approval by a moderator, easing the uptick in discretionary deletions. Dispute of public opinion violates the unwritten purposes of SHMF; certain facts are unacceptable, because SHMF costs money to run, and it can only be profitable by providing advertising revenue via product placement to an elite class of senior, uber-willing customers, where objective dissidents are quickly and easily silenced, and by brainwashing those customers into supporting the parasitic platform which feeds off content they themselves create. Non-compliance with a set of arbitrary guidelines is randomly referenced for this purpose. Threads are deleted for both subjective and facts-based criticisms of certain engineers. For example, when a well-known engineer publicly critiqued Kevin Gray on certain Analogue Productions reissues, or when a forum-associated record label was revealed to be using an old 1980s CD as audio source for an SACD remaster, the information was quickly wiped from public view. This is consistently done without providing notice or just reason to the user base, contributors, or readers.

A small group of senior engineers are uniquely promoted in part by using euphemisms such as "our host" instead of names, which subconsciously encourages idolization and raises aging audio workers on a pedestal of self-appointed worship. There is a scientifically well-documented connection between age and high-frequency hearing loss [3, 4], which is especially relevant to many of the discussions on SHMF, yet comments to this effect are deleted by moderators without justification, as they not only criticize this exclusive clique of engineers, but the moderators they appointed as well. While there is no such scientific evidence linking the value of speaker cables and interconnects to the sound of an audio system, posts discussing sound quality without publicly sharing this information are in violation of SHMF policies [5] and are discreetly deleted at "moderator discretion." This not only provides an unjustifiable means for senior users to critique junior ones, but is biased by a selection of posts which contain unflattering information: those viewed as disruptive from the capitalistically profitable content of shipping updates and unquestioning god-like praise.

Object cronyism as a means for increasing invisible ad revenue and user donations, while simultaneously masquerading as an unbiased public forum, is deceptive, provides nothing but an illusion of credibility, biases users with half-truths and distorted information, scams readers out of their money, and in an ideal world would be outright illegal. I refuse to continue participating in an ever-growing circle-jerk of seniors unable to hear above 12 kHz partaking in a massively-deceptive pyramid scheme while refereeing opinions on, yet unable to hear what, their oh-so-expensive equipment is literally screaming at them. SHMF is an out-of-control, over-moderated disgrace to a community of listeners and music lovers, and I strongly dissent from its existence.

Sincerest regards,
"ThePoodleBites"

[1] https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/68067-mastering-error-by-vic-anesini-iconoclassic-records/
[2] https://microdynamiks.blogspot.com/2015/07/chapter-8-how-hoffman-invited-and-then.html 
[3] ISO 7029 (2017)
[4] Hearing Balance Commun. 16.2 (2018) 74–82
[5] https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/pages/forum-policies/


25 comments:

  1. Well done. I left their forums because of their oppressive approach, censorship and rampant bullying. I was tired of Hoffmans sycophants treating him like a god and saying how wonderful his work was. In my experience Hoffmans production work is vast overrated and inferior to the original analogue vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I agree. While I have no problem giving credit where it's due, the assumption that every Hoffman, Anesini, Grundman, Bellman, etc mastering is the best-ever-and-always is senseless. The reason old analog LPs sound so great is not because they were mastered by a 70-year-old man with a record label; it's because they were mastered by a 20-something nobody with full-spectrum hearing and the energy to turn something good into something great. Continually worshiping these ancient engineers prevents those newcomers from getting their shot.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately the Hoffman forum has , over the years, become nothing more than a place to fawn over the "local hero" and all those deemed worthy.

    I may not be playing music over $80,000 audio equipment, but you don't need an excessively overpriced sound system to hear mastering quality (especially when you have the variation of release on hand to do so). I remember being ridiculed over the various "Who's Next" CD releases when I just said that "to my ears" the Glenn Meadows remaster of Glyn Johns original mix that MCA released as Ultimate Masterdisc seemed to stay true yet improved the overall sound. The reaction was not one of open forum discussion but more of "why are you even on this forum".

    I also got aggravated over time when I noticed how they also got into lock step with record industry rhetoric (vinyl re-revolution , and so forth).

    I've also seen engineers and producers badgered by the forum "experts" over the work they've done without knowing about recording sources and the imitation of the master, etc. Forum dwellers seem to think they are the final word on everything.

    After a while I just got fed up with the silliness and, quite honestly, I can't remember when the last time I even visited the site.

    I just don't need know-it-alls to tell me how to hear what I hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience here, and kudos for making your voice heard amongst the elitists.

      Delete
  3. I don't blame you for leaving SHF. It's so lame that they deleted your posts, as if they're the proverbial gatekeepers as to what is acceptable as good sound and what is/is not to be questioned WRT certain engineers etc. What a joke. When I was a teenager, I used to send in these 'sound offs' to the local newspaper. It was just sort of fun because they would actually publish them and I got to sort of 'rant' and get things off my chest. The beginnings of the 'rants' you'd see at the end of each of of my print zines in a way. Anyway, eventually they started editing what I wrote, cutting sections of what I sent it out and printing something different than what I sent in. At that point, I was like ok I'm out. I don't want my words censored or misprinted, so I'll write myself and present it unedited and uncut. On another note, all these 'remaster' and various reissues are getting a bit out of hand. Just cash-grab opportunities and repackaging material that you can get in as good or often better quality with a little research.. Many times, yes, on one of those old cd's from the 80's! I wouldn't put it past some of these corporate scumbags to just use an old 80's cd and repackage it as a 'remaster' and put it out on RSD or something.. Anyway, I digress... Good on you for putting up the middle finger to the self-anointed gatekeepers over at SHF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this. It all turned out well, I suppose, as we across the globe now get to enjoy your unedited/uncut 'zine.

      Delete
  4. Wow, are you all just finding this out now?

    lol...

    I gave up on that forum over 10 years ago. They were full of jerks then, they're full of jerks now. I just go there to occasionally research something and that's it.

    Also back then, I think SH himself was using an anonymous account and calling himself something else. Why use an anonymous account on your own blog? Why pretend and play games like that? It's really silly crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Hoffman is entitled. Not only is he genius, he is also the kindest man I have ever met.

      Delete
    2. Sure he's entitled. It's his blog. And I'm also entitled to call him out on it.

      Delete
    3. To be clear, John, I make no comment/critique about Steve as a person or an engineer here; my problem is with how SHMF is run.

      Delete
  5. I must say that I am disappointed by ‘thepoodlebites’ recent meltdown and departure. I think he had real potential to become a true Hoffmanite. Yes, he may have been critical of Our Host in his posts but his taste as an audiophile very much reflects that he was (and is) in actuality a follower of Hoffman’s mastering philosophy: i.e. unfutzed sound, crankable sound stage, full dynamic range, etc. So, I had high hopes for this young man that he would continue the fine trend that Steve Hoffman has started in the future.

    Having said that, I think he has been very disrespectful to our community. Steve Hoffman is a respected industry icon, possibly the only mastering engineer who has never compromised his vision to the demands of the industry. He should be commended for that, along with his wife who has always supported him in this endeavor (rather than demanding he sold himself out and borrow his talent to less prolific projects). We, The Gorts, are a team of volunteers who are happy to assist Steve in his quest. Is everything we do perfect? No, obviously. But we always try our best to find fair middle ground and please as many as we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note that the subject of my message is not Steve but his "Gorts".
      "Hoffmanite"? "his quest"? He's an old guy with a tape machine, not a cult leader.
      Are you a "Gort" or a "Troll"?

      Delete
    2. Total fantasy about Hoffman and his work. I said earlier, his work is inferior to first analogue pressings. A totally overrated engineer with a gaggle of unquestioning acolytes.

      Delete
    3. That has to be one of the most patronizing descriptions of SH, yet. Talk about kissing ass.

      A cultist, superior attitude like that gets you nowhere.

      Delete
    4. But honest. Something thats an anathema on the hoffman forums. The reason I gave up. Enough said

      Delete
    5. @Anonymous commentator(s) -- please assign yourself(ves) a handle so we can follow who is saying what here, which is currently impossible. Remember, as your Dearest Lord Poodle, I reserve the right to invent an arbitrary set of rules and start deleting comments, or to brainwash a legion of hippie 'heads to carry out my bidding.

      Delete
    6. Gort Jerry has drunk too much Kool-Aid. It's coming out his ears.

      Delete
  6. "Gorts" & "Hoffmaites" .... Do these cats have secret hand shakes, club jackets, and weird initiations ? Hey, I agree that Steve Hoffman is an OK guy that's done a lot of good work but that has nothing to do with a forum. This "revered deity" nonsense is nothing more than mob mentality.

    quote:
    "Groucho Marx is famously quoted as saying, “I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members”. This quote reflects his disdain for the exclusivity and conformity often associated with various clubs and organizations".

    This may be very Ann Rand like but ... what can I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Literally laughing at what Gort Jerry had to say. Here is a good site to have some laughs at Hoofman and the many morons at SHF.

    https://stereocentral.freeforums.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I was afraid that my post might be too strongly worded, but my words are well-mannered compared to these guys. No holding back there.

      Delete
    2. The idea that Hoof is respected by the industry is the most laughable part of Gorf Jerry's post. There are some posters on Hoof's forum who are great, the Grateful Thread is pretty free of drama, but anyone with any sense knows Steve is a huge fraud. Consider his annual 'fundraiser' lololol

      Delete
  8. Forums and social media today are an exercise in Groupthink. Dangerous stuff where unpopular opinions are squashed, and posters are attacked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but I don't let shit like that deter me. Sometimes it's just better to be banned than live their lie.

      Delete
    2. There are so many lurking disasters from fake accounts and AI-generated content in public fora: what would happen if a popular music forum generated 100 fake accounts who randomly posted AI-trained content with unquestioning praise? Whereas any "real" posts are closely moderated, and any critique swiftly eliminated? It's perfect advertising: it's effective, it's very cheap, and it should be illegal. But politicians who used an abacus instead of a computer in grade-school are not capable of making rational regulation for these modern issues, so misinformation, conspiracies, and scams prosper.

      Delete
  9. Oh I don't think he's a "total fraud". He's done some good work in the past. But I do think he's overrated and having a slavering fanboy cult behind him does nothing for his reputation. It makes him look like a total ass, imo...

    ReplyDelete